Friday, May 27, 2011

THE INVISIBLE SHOE

By Andreia Chaves


Much anticipated and finally made commercially available, the Brazillian designer's Invisible Shoe explores the concept of invisibility through camouflage by reflection. With the help of expert Dutch 3-D printing company Freedom of Creation the shoe comes alive in a few different versions. Only being sold at I.T Hong Kong (as far as the internet can tell me!) I would do terrible things for these. Her conflation of new technology in production and inventive use of materials points to an artist in touch with the transformative relationship between material application and conceptual methodology. Her other shoe designs are just as amazing and worthy of aching covetousness.






Andreia Chavas on growing up in Sao Paulo:
"The fact that I grew up in a chaotic city like Sao Paulo, full of contrasts, being in contact with such diversity and constant exposure to different visual inputs, has inspired me in how I think and conceptualize my shoes. Looking at my work, I can clearly see influence coming from my South American sense of versatility.  Also in the mix - what I have been experiencing in Europe."
 THE "PRISM" SHOE DELICATE AND COMPOSED
 THE "FORM AND TEXTURE" SHOE Leather & Sycamore wood A STUDY OF CONTRADICTION, DISCIPLINE AND CHAOS
 THE "VELCRO" SHOE  Form & Material, A STUDY OF AIR SCULPTURE

"TWIRLED" Part of a study of optical effect, MADE OF METAL AND PVC


A little about the Layer Manufacturing of Freedom of Creation:

Layer manufacturing is a process that allows for a CAD file to be transformed into a solid
object.  With a push of a button, the manufacturer realizes significant economic benefits, such
as elimination of warehouse, stock, and assembly processes, extreme reduction in
transportation costs and just-in-time production.  FOC is the first company specialized in and
the leading innovators of design for layer manufacturing.


*Photos and quote from Yatzer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment